Monday, May 3, 2010

what did I get myself into!

I had no idea what to expect with my first session with my personal trainer. After all the only thing I knew about exercise and personal trainers was gym class in school, Biggest Loser and exercise DVD's! And I sure as heck was not wanting a 'Jillian Michaels' type trainer yelling at me... not sure if I even wanted a Bob Harper type either :)

I started out warming up on the treadmill then after about 10 minutes the workout started. I was already sweating. She had me do a variety of body weight exercises, lunges, calf raises, push-ups on an elevated surface. And my first session I learned the joys of mountain climbers, let me explain. I had my hands on a plyo box which was about 20 inches high and my feet were behind my almost in a push up position. Then as fast as I could I had to jump one foot at a time back and forth in a running motion. That was so hard to do I felt like I just might die after about 2 seconds of jumping my feet back and forth :) Then I did step ups on the plyo box. Seriously who'd a thought that stepping up and down on a box would be so tiring but my legs were pretty much dead by the end of the session. She had me do a few more push ups and ab stuff and then my session was over.

My first session workout was tough but it was good. I felt like I could actually get into it. She didn't have me do anything I absolutely thought I couldn't do and yet I was tested to do more than I though I could. I could actually see myself getting used to it and maybe enjoying working out... until later the next day!!

When I got up the next morning I was a little sore but felt good. I thought, since I was working out before it gave me an edge that I wasn't going to be as sore. As the day progressed however, it became increasingly harder to get my body to voluntarily move. By the end of the day just closing my eyelids hurt :) Literally every muscle in my body hurt, from my toes to my nose, nothing moved without some twinge of pain radiating through my body. And I seriously thought what did I get myself into!

I knew though that this pain meant that I was working muscles that hadn't been worked in a long time. And that if I stuck with it, it would start getting easier and not get so sore afterward. Besides, I had paid for a whole month of workouts with the personal trainer so I had to stick with it at least a month :)

No comments:

Post a Comment