Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hog Jog


So the butt crack of dawn I woke up on June 20, 2009 to go do something I have never done, participate in a race. I signed up fulling intending on having some of my co-workers join me but situations came up and I was going to do it on my own. It was so tempting to not go or just go, pick up my t-shirt and leave. Despite me apprehensions I got into my car and drove to the race.

When I got to the park where the race was to happen there were a lot more people than I expected! This is just a small town in Indiana but I guess the Hog Jog is a pretty well known race in our area. And of course the first few people I saw where the skinny runners with the tights and tank tops running around the park. I thought to myself "DUDE these people are crazy, the race hasn't even started! Why the heck are these people running already?!" I started getting more and more nervous as I got in line for registration.

There were so many people it seemed. I felt strange, mainly out of my own insecurities and my judgment of myself for being the "fat girl" at a race. After I picked up my totally awesome pink hog jog shirt, race chip, and number I walked back to my car to put all the race material in my car and to put the chip on my shoe. In the back of my head I kept thinking of ways I could not do the race. But I went there to accomplish something and I was going to do it. No matter how scared or awkward I felt I needed to do this race.

As I walked back to the park I wandered around looking at the different people. I began to notice not everyone was my stereotypical image of a runner. There were all different ages and sizes. Some people were decked out in the running gear and I saw some people wearing jeans! But most people were just normal looking, t-shirt and shorts. I saw this older couple about my parents age, mid to later 50's standing around waiting for the race to start. I struck up a conversation with the lady (for the life of me I wish I could remember her name but it seems to escape me) and I told her it was my first race. She had done a few races but she was a walk/jogger and not a runner. Since I had built my "running" up to about a minute I figured I was in the same walk/jog category.

The announcement was made to start heading up to the starting line. I decided to stand go where the lady I was talking to went. She said she found the best place for her was in the back of the running group, on the outside, just before the walking group. As we stood there waiting to start they began making the "thanks for coming" speech and before I knew it the gun went off and we were off.

I ran to try and keep up with my new friend but quickly found myself out of breath and slowed down to walk. I continued my jog/walk routine throughout the race. This was a crazy experience! I ended up passing a small group of people who where pushing an elderly lady in a wheelchair. Then I was passed by "lamaze" breathing speed walkers :). There were kids running, people walking with strollers, teenagers in jeans, and grandparents. As we came through the town there were people sitting on their front porch and out on the lawn in chairs cheering for the participants and talking to the people they knew in the race. This was not my expectation of a race, this is so much better! We went through town and the police and volunteers cheered for you and gave a friendly smile and wave as you passed by. Before I knew it the race was almost finished.

As I rounded the last corner I could see ahead the finish line. It was a welcome sight, I was so excited and exhausted to finally see the finish. Even though it was 2 mile race it seemed to be a lot longer! Mainly because I didn't really train for ground running only running on the treadmill :). As I approached the finish line my new friend was standing on the side waiting for her husband. She cheered for me and encouraged me to run to the finish. I felt a final serge of energy and I ran to the finish line, 32 minutes!

I did it, this "fat girl" just completed a race!! I wasn't the first, and I wasn't the last!! But crossing that finish line with people cheering me on, I felt like a winner! My new friend took the picture below soon after I finished and I was so excited that you can see people still finishing behind me, showing I wasn't the last one!! I was on top of the world! I had accomplished something I never imagined I could do and I felt great, sweaty, but great! I think for the first time I experience the "runners high" and it was amazing!! I couldn't wait to find another race!


1 comment:

  1. Emily you are such an inspiration to me and other people who wish they could run..Way to go girl..

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete