Thursday, April 8, 2010

There's a podcast for that!




I work in an office and spend a large majority of my day sitting in front of the computer. I learned that listening to music and podcasts during work helped move the day faster. Almost all of the podcasts I listened to was food or religious related. It dawned on me one day to search for health and fitness related podcasts. I was so excited to see the plethora of fitness related podcasts. I am a nerd when it comes to learning new things and podcasts were just what I needed. My friends and co-workers can attest to my quest for learning and my willingness to share my new found knowledge :)

With the holidays, It would have been easy just to step off the wagon. When I found fitness podcasts it was just the catalyst I needed to keep motivated. There was such a variety of information that all had the common denominator, to inform people of trends, healthy living, and fitness.

Many of the podcasts during the holidays offered holiday survival tips to help you stay on your health quest. A lot of them focused on portion control and better food decisions. I always though I ate pretty healthy, my parents were nurses and my dad a diabetic, so the dinners my mom cooked were balanced and healthy for the most part. However, my big issue was portion control. So in my mind, I still felt I could eat whatever I wanted just as long as the portions where of reasonable size. As the holidays came, along with my mommy's delicious home cooking my weight loss slowed down, and since I did not want to change my food I just put that to the middle of my mind and kept working out in the front.

I had increased my workout time to almost 30 minutes but did not keep a consistent schedule. I knew I needed to do something different. I had bought a few biggest loser fitness DVDs which were nice but I still felt like I needed something else. I needed something to keep me more accountable than just a weekly weigh in.

One of the podcasts I listened to, "No excuses weight loss with Jonathan Roche" was an internet radio show where the host, Jonathan Roche, answered peoples questions about fitness and weight loss. As well as the show, there was an online forum and he had a fitness system. I loved the forum and online community and began to form relationships with the women who regularly posted. Jonathan promoted the benefits of interval training and the research showing that intervals burn 30% more fat. Finally, just before Christmas, I bought his system that included a heart rate monitor and online software to track all my workouts and weight. I hoped this was what I needed to improve my fitness and weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment